Friday, August 2, 2013

Benefits Ladder and Post-Purchase Dissonance

As discussed in this week’s Chalk Talk session, the benefits ladder consists for the following:

·         Emotional Benefits
·         Functional Benefits
·         Product Attributes

To determine what should be categorized as emotional benefits, we ask the question what are the dominant feelings produced by or associated with the possession of or use of the product?  Consumers who have developed an emotional attached to the brand would be classified as an emotional benefit for the particular item.  Under the emotional benefits step of the benefits ladder you would find:  Allround being the most effective cold and allergy multi-symptom relief medication, being a trusted brand, and providing consumers symptom relief so they can get a full night’s rest.

What does the product actually do for the customer?  What is the unique value of this product?  These questions fall under functional benefits.  Within this step for Allround you can find:  breaks up chest congestion; 4 hour relief from aches and fever, nasal congestion, runny nose, chest congestion, and cough; and provides sleep aid.

Product attributes asks what are the specific, measurable, characteristics, or features of the product.  The following would be classified under product attributes:  the ingredients of Allround (1000mg of Analgesic, 4mg of Antihistamine, 60mg of Decongestant, 30mg of Cough Suppressant, and 20mg of Alcohol), and Allround is provided in a liquid form.

We also talked this week about post-purchase dissonance.  Post-purchase dissonance is defined as the uncomfortable feeling following a high-involvement decision.  Marketers can limit post-purchase dissonance from the consumers by placing ads that help reassure consumer they’ve made the right decision.  By focusing ads on all the positive aspects of the purchase decision it helps consumers avoid the urge to delay the purchase or post-purchase dissonance.  Lastly, markets can reduce this dissonance after the purchase by making direct contact with the consumer after the purchase decision has been made.  These direct marketing appeals help reinforce the positive aspects of the consumer’s decision, and serve as a gesture to show the consumers that the company hasn’t simply written them off now that the transaction is complete.

I experienced post-purchase dissonance after I purchased my vehicle recently.  I did plenty of research since this is going to be an investment that will last multiple years.  I wanted to have something that was stylish, yet practical.  I wanted a car that had good gas mileage, a car that was fully loaded, and lastly a company that was well respected and had high brand equity.  I had a few different cars in mind, but there was no clear number one.  I also had to keep in mind I should get a car with four doors so I can fit more things when moving or people when I’m driving.  I couldn’t get a sports car due to harsh winters and I needed something reliable as I’ll drive the car daily.  I settled on a Honda Accord and honestly drove past the 3 or 4 cars I was deciding amongst during the first week after I made my decision.  I found myself noticing it was a comfortable ride, but was this truly the car for me?  The more I drove the car I saw more on the road and like their design more and more.  I saw many TV commercials that stressed the dependability of Honda.  Also, I received a letter in the mail from Honda saying they appreciated my business as well as an estimated dollar amount I’d save over the next 10 years from purchasing a Honda.  Based on the MPG, average longevity, and the estimated service required for the vehicle compared to their two major competitors (names were not listed, just competitor A and B) they provided some reassurance that the investment I made was well worth it and this was something I would be able to use for many years to come.  I am pleased I made that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment